By Dr. Elizabeth King, LCSW, CHt
The Y in SASSY is for Young at Heart. No matter what age we are, retaining our sense of wonder, kindness, creativity, and imagination is so vital to being a SASSY woman!
As women, we are taught by society to fear aging. We are told we are less than; less attractive, less desirable, less important. We are pushed to purchase undergarments, hair dyes, and face serums to hide the fact that we aren’t in our 20s anymore. The running joke about birthdays is that we are never older than 39.
Forget that! With age comes experience and wisdom. The crones used to be revered for their knowledge and courage. We should embrace our age every step of the way, valuing every gray hair and wrinkle and stretch mark – because we earned them fair and square!
That doesn’t mean it’s wrong to pull on some Spanx, get some highlights, and use our Olay every night. There are many different paths to self-empowerment – just remember that they key word there is self, so do what you do for you.
Take care of yourself. That doesn’t just mean eating right or exercising – it means nurturing your spiritual and emotional well-being as well. Feed the child inside, rejoice in things like cloud pictures and the smell of cut grass on a summer’s day and popsicles melting down the stick onto your hand.
We are SASSY, and that means fun! It doesn’t mean we aren’t serious about our lives, our families, our careers – quite the opposite. We just believe we should play as hard as we work.
Here are five ways to stay young at heart. How many will you do?
- Throw an impromptu dance party. Put on some music, and dance in your underwear a la Callie from Grey’s Anatomy. This is incredibly freeing!
- Go see a movie in a dollar theater. Preferably a Pixar movie. Buy popcorn, and some candy that’s really bad for you and some of those gross nachos. Take a friend so you can giggle together at the funny parts.
- Go outside and take a walk. Collect a few cool rocks. Jump in a pile of leaves. Play chase with a puppy.
- Look at the stars. When did we stop looking up and being amazed? Drive away from city lights if you have to and take a blanket to spread on the hood of the car. The universe is full of wonders if we remember to look.
- Take a day off and spend it at a museum, a zoo, or an arboretum. Ask questions, be inquisitive, learn something new.
Staying Young At Heart is a vital part of our SASSY core values. Look inside, and find the young you – then let her out to play.
It’s time to put on your lipstick attitude and get out there and live a SASSY life!
About Dr. Elizabeth King
Mindset Strategist for High-Achieving Women, Serial Entrepreneur, Holistic Psychotherapist, Hypnotherapist, Blogger, Speaker, Author, Polio Survivor.
Dr. King gives successful women the tools and strategies they need to live a healthier, happier, more balanced and purposeful life.
Dr. King is the Chief Inspiration Officer(CIO) and founder of Suits, Stilettos and Lipstick,
International Holistic Center and DRK Global Enterprises. She also founded the Lipstick
Foundation, a 501 c3 nonprofit organization. Although all four companies have distinct
missions, they all work hand and hand to deliver the same message of hope and empowerment.
Stay connected on: