Dr. Elizabeth King, LCSW, CHt
Life is all about balance. We see it throughout society with various iconic symbols like the zodiac Libra scale and Justitia’s Scale of Justice. These symbols convey a strong sense of meaning in our society because of their relevance in our daily lives’ and their emphasis on symmetry. Reflect on this and make all effort to apply this to your daily life.
Easier said than done, you say? Well, there are important reasons for needing balance in your life. Know that too much daily stress can not only make for a long and tiring week, but it can play havoc in your body and mind. Serious health problems such a heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, adrenal fatigue, depression and a lot more can be a direct result from pushing your body and mind to the max. Women especially are known for doing this. We want it all, so we think we need to do it all. It is very hard for us to ask for help, even if it means that in the end we end up physically and emotionally ill.
2016 is the year to change this once and for all. It is time to make your life easier by creating harmony in your day. So, how will you begin to balance your life in 2016?
These tips will help:
- Make time for self-care. Explore some of your favorite ways to pamper yourself. Book an appointment for a therapeutic massage and spend a day with yourself at the salon. Take a walk in the park and let your mind escape your busy day through yoga and meditation. Make a date to hangout with your friends just to have fun. Make your dream trip a reality and book that ticket to where all of your day dreaming takes place. Even taking a calming bubble bath can give ease to a hectic day.
“Prayer is when you talk to God; meditation is when you listen. . .” –Diana Robinson.
- Plan for having a balanced life. Schedule an appointment with yourself and keep it. Think about how you will begin to prioritize your mental and physical health in order to help you efficiently reach your goals. Take a look at the Pareto Principle- the 80/20 rule- and find ways to apply this mode of balance to your life. Begin with food. The 80/20 rule for diet is based on the idea that during eighty-percent of the week, you should ingest foods filled with nutrition. This includes foods like fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains or even lean meats. It may be almost impossible to stay away from indulgent foods. That is no problem as long as it comes with balance. Spread this principle throughout any other aspect in your life as well.
- Set limits. In life, there must be balance between work and play. Set a realistic time for yourself to take a much needed social media, technology or work break. In the evening, shut off your computer and stop what you have been working on for an hour every single day. Allow yourself to refocus and spend time with you. During this time, give yourself a mental break to reconnect with yourself and your goals.
- Set date nights with your significant other. Minimum once a week and no less than every 2 weeks, have a fun date night with your partner. Every couple needs time alone to reconnect without the strains and responsibilities of life. Give yourself a night with your partner that revolves around the romance within the relationship. Make dinner reservations at an intimate restaurant and refresh that romantic spark regularly.
- Get involved. Fulfillment through giving back to a cause and getting involved in your local community can be easily obtained. Feeling like you have a purpose in life is actually one of the most important aspects of life to many. If you lack a feeling of purpose or meaning, it may be time to begin finding your purpose through giving the gift of charity. Help yourself and your community by helping those who are in need.
- Ask for help. This is a tough one for women, but if you want to bring balance into your life, you have to be willing to let others pitch in. The demands of modern day women are humanly impossible to meet without sharing the workload with others. The important thing here is to not feel guilty about asking for help. Remind yourself that it is really ok to share the responsibilities with others.
- Put down your cape. Let me say this loud and clear “You don’t have to try to be a superwoman”. Pushing yourself day after day to accomplish everything on your long list of ‘to-dos” is just going to push you over the edge. Follow the instructions that we are given on a plane, “put your oxygen mask on first”. You really can’t help others unless you take care of yourself. Creating balance in your life is a necessity, not a luxury.
And that’s how you live a #SASSYlife!